McVentures in Spain

The McMahons, Sean and Kate, relocated from the United States to Barcelona, Spain, in February 2006. We live in Barrio Gothic, and aim to soak up as much of the Spanish, and not to mention European, lifestyle as possible. This blog is our way of sharing our experiences and our adventures with family and friends. So let the McVenture begin!

Friday, April 28, 2006

Si, Si, Si ... Nos vamos a Paris!

That's what the people of Barcelona were chanting all night last night.

"Yes, Yes, Yes ... We're going to Paris!"

FC Barcelona managed to hold AC Milan to a 0-0 tie, so FCB moves on the Champions League Final against Arsenal May 17 in Paris. I know a 0-0 tie sounds like a bore, but it was actually quite a thriller. Rather than sit back and defend, FCB stuck to its strength and attacked all night long. Milan even had a goal called back because of a foul that not too many folks on the Italian side really thought was a foul. We watched the game with Nacho at our new locals-only football bar. Serious fun.

Well, maybe I shouldn't say the bar was serious fun, cause the real action was out on the streets after the game. La Rambla and Plaza Catalunya were jammed packed with fans dancing and singing. That's right around the corner from our place, so Kate and I ventured out right into the thick of it. I have never been in a more festive atmosphere.

Check out the photos...

















It was quite a wild time, but unfortunately it turned a bit frightening at the end. The police, who Kate and I strolled by on our way to the festivities as they hung out not looking too bothered by the revelry, decided to put an end to things after about two hours. And when the time came to break up the crowd, boy did they mean business! They rolled up in their vans, jumped out, and proceeded to start beating the crap out of people.

Kate and I quickly realized that they were beating on people indiscriminately. Old ... young ... reveler ... passer-by. They just didn't care.

We tore off running and I must say that I have NEVER seen my wife run that fast. Ever. We managed to make our way back to our apartment, but not before I came within about a foot of catching the business end of a cop's baton. At the very last instant, I saw him take a swing at me out of the corner of my eye as we were sprinting down La Rambla at top speed. I flinched a bit and heard him hit something behind me. Not sure what he did hit, but it wasn't me.

It was all so tremendously stupid. Having witnessed the riot last month when the kids were actually smashing storefronts and tearing up the city, I have to say last night was incredibly harmless. I don't know what the cops were thinking. Aside from jay-walking, climbing some streetlights and lighting a flare or two, the people were just dancing and singing.

I'll never forget the jubulant feel of the crowd last night. I'll always remember the joy of the night. I'm just surprised and a bit saddened that such a happy place could turn into such a chaotic horror in just a matter of seconds.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean,
Like I was telling you, it's those Mossos d'Esquadra. It's so tragic sometimes how they get all uppity with perfectly happy, fiesta-ing people. At last year's Festa de Gracia, they broke up a little party/concert that, they supposed, had been going on too long (it was about 4am). But they didn't just break it up, they came in with batons and shields, continuously pushing the crowd down the street like cattle till people were falling all over eachother, losing shoes, getting stepped... it was horrible.

Next time you see one of those anti-Mossos signs hanging up around Gracia you'll know exactly what they're talking about!

Have a good one dude.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good morning bros. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices as regards the boots were around 300 bucks on every page. But completely I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order these. what can you tell me about these?

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home